3 things to know before starting baking
Do you feel like baking a cake but you are not sure of how to set the oven? Are the eggs you have in the fridge fresh enough? And what about the accessories of your stand mixer? We are here for you!
Are eggs fresh?
An old but effective trick is to dip the egg in a bowl of salted water:
- if it sinks, it’s fresh!
- if it tends to float it isn’t so fresh, but if you intend to cook it, you can use it.
- if it floats it’s bad, toss it!
What kind of beater should you use?
If you have a stand mixer at home, you probably have three different beaters:
- the flat beater (or leaf) is meant to be used with short pastry or other doughs that contain butter.
- the classic whip is perfect to beat eggs or to mix ingredients in different recipes.
- the hook is for doughs like bread, pizza and brioches.
Time to turn on the oven: static or ventilated?
Static oven is better for delicate and uniform cookings, while ventilated mode is suitable for fast and crispy cookings.
- Sponge cake
- Puff pastry